SCHOOLS OF THE PAST
The earliest information on primary schools in the Myshall/Drumphea area is taken from ‘Schools of Kildare and Leighlin A.D.1775-1835’ by Rev. Martin Brennan, M.S. B.D. PhD published by M.H. Gill and Son Ltd 1935. It appears the information was given by Laurence Cummins P.P. 1816 – 1838. The information is as follows:
(Spelling of place names as in original document)
Nicholas Murphy. Roman Catholic. Pay School. Income £12. School house a common mud cabin; cost £5. Average attendance: Summer 1824 – Males 55, Females 43; Established Church: 8, Roman Catholics 90. Not connected with any Society. Scriptures not read,
John Cahill, Roman Catholic. Pay School. Income £12. School house a small mud cabin; cost £5. Average attendance: Summer 1824: Males 25, Females 21; Roman Catholics 46 not connected with any Society. Scriptues read, D. Version
3. KNOCKAGREE, MYSHALL
Laurence Rourke, Roman Catholic, Pay School Income £6. School house an old barn; cost £4. Average attandance: Summer 1824 – males 30, Females 22 Established Church 1, Roman Catholics 51. Not connected with any Society. Scriptures not read.
Henry Hogan. Roman Catholic. Pay School. Income £6. School house a wretched hut; cost £1 11s 6d. Average attendance: Summer 1824: Males 25, Females 24; Established Church 3; Catholics 46. Not connected with any society. Scriptures not read.
Michael Farrell. Roman Catholic. Pay School. Income £3 School-house a thatched cabin; cost £5 Average attendance: summer 1824 – males 27, Females 20; Established Church 7, Roman Catholics 40. Not connected with any Society. Scriptures not read.
James Doyle. Roman Catholic. Pay school. Income: £1.10s. School house a thatched cabin; cost £4. Average attendance: Summer 1824: - Males 22, females 12. Roman Catholics 34. Not connected with any Society. Scriptures not read
John Kerlly. Roman Catholic. Pay School. Income £10. School held in the Chapel. Average attendance: Summer 1824 Males 48, Females 56; Roman Catholics 104. Not connected with any Society. Scriptures not read.
Jane Sheehan, Roman Catholic. Pay School. Income £1.16s. School house a poor mud
cabin. Average attendance: Summer 1824 – Males 20, Females 19; Other
Denominations 1, Roman Catholics 39. Not connected with any Society. Scriptures
Martin Owen. Protestant. Parish school. Schoolhouse of stone and lime; cost £200; built by Government and private subscription. Not yet furnished or opened.
(End of extract from ‘Schools of Kildare and Leighlin A.D.1775-1835’ by Rev. Martin Brennan)
Myshall Boys National School
In 1832 a male National school was opened in the south-east of the village to accommodate 70 children described as ‘a slated one roomed, one storey building.’ (This is now a shed belonging to Mrs. Bridie Daly and her family)
In 1835 a Female National School was built in the North end of the village to accommodate about 60 children – a slated one roomed, one storey building. (This building is now demolished and was situated close to where the Eustace Family now live)
In 1954 construction started on a new school in Myshall. Pictures of the opening of the Marian Shrine Myshall actually show the site as a construction site in the background. It opened in 1955, built by Mr. Brian Kelly, originally from Co. Offaly, and it opened with three teachers – Mr. Andrew Jordan (Principal), Mrs. Mullen (Vice Principal) and Mrs. Matt Doyle, (Privileged Assistant).
Numbers attending increased as teacher/pupil ratio decreased and by 1974 a fourth classroom teacher was appointed and the Old Barracks, with kind permission of the late Mr. Bernard Nolan had to be used as a classroom. Plans for an extension had been drawn up the previous year. The extension was approved in 1977 and specifications were briefly: two additional classrooms; general purpose room, tarmacadam play area, staff room; the existing three rooms were to be made into two large class rooms and the sewage was to be linked up with the local scheme. Total cost £45,000 with the parish liable for one eighth. The contractor was Mr. Foley, Graiguenamanagh. The four teachers and their classes were accommodated in the Community Centre while the extension was being completed. Children returned to the school building in 1979.
In 1985 a fifth
classroom teacher was appointed but that post was withdrawn in 1987 as enrolment
numbers fell. It was regained in 1989 only to be lost again in 1991 and the
school had to wait until 2008 to have that post re-gained only to be lost again
in 2009 due to falling enrolment and Government cut-backs.