Garryhill was the ancient stronghold of the 14th century figure, Art Óg Kavanagh, King of Leinster, who described by the Four Masters as “a man who defended his throne against the English and the Irish from the age of sixteen years to his sixtieth year”. According to local tradition the castle was situated adjacent to what is now Garryhill House which, owned by Lord Bessborough in the 18th century, served as the residence of the Earl’s eldest son Viscount Duncannon. In 1884 Countess Bessborough or Lady Duncannon founded the Garryhill Lace Cottage Industry had its own stand with a display of embroidery, drawn work and sprigging in the Embroidery Court of the Home Industries Section at the Irish international Exhibition and among those who had purchased specimens of the work were Her Majesty the Queen, Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales, and the Dowager Empress Frederick. The craft has however died out but Borris Lace can be purchased locally.

Related articles

Garryhill School  | Garryhill Hall | Garryhill House |
Garryhill Camogie Club | Garryhill Handball Club |

Back to Attractions