THE CROPPY ROAD AND 1798 ACTIVITIES IN THE AREA
The first mile of the road which leads from the village to Borris is known as the Croppy Road and got its name from the 1798 troubled period of Irish history. Myshall at the time was governed by the local landlord Major Cornwall who was the military officer and magistrate for the district. There were a number of locals in the movement known as the United Irishmen, with Captain James Nolan as their leader, who took part in the battles of Borris returning to Myshall unharmed. However, a number of informants in the camp gave their names to Cornwall and the Parish Priest at the time, Fr. Bryan Kavanagh, knowing their fate would be the pitch-cap or the hangman’s rope, interceded with Cornwall on their behalf. Cornwall agreed to save their lives if they delivered their arms and enrolled in a labour corp making a new road. The original road, a Cromwellian one, passed within a short distance of his mansion.
The traditional Irish ballad “The Croppy Boy” which records a 1798 incident mentions Robert Cornwall and the Myshall Cavalry. Tradition also claims that Fr. John Murphy, a famous 1798 leader said his last Mass at Coolasnaughta about two miles from here, prior to execution in nearby Tullow.
1798 Commemorative Plaque on the Croppy Road, Myshall (1998)
A 1798 commemorative plaque is situated on the wall at the entrance to the Croppy Road. This corner known as “The Picket Corner” was originally the official look-out point of a sentry guard for the Cornwall Estate.